Ridge Racer/OutRun Mod Kit Configuration
Important Gaming Box Tips:
Please CALIBRATE your pedals. See this video: Calibrate Pedals
To START a game, use the SHIFTER to select and press A to launch.
To EXIT any game, press START and COIN simultaneously
(COIN is the Volume UP button)
Please find all the info below on setting up your Ridge Racer or OutRun Mod Kit.
We have several kits available, but the basic options are:
1. Encoder only - you will receive: the Encoder Board, 6 foot USB C cable, Power Harness and Stickers. Install the encoder board and connect to your PC or other front end system to run your games.
2. Encoder with Gaming Box - you will receive: the Encoder Board, 12 inch USB C cable, Power Harness, Power inverter, Audio cable, Gaming Box and Stickers. Install in your cabinet for a complete plug and play gaming solution.
Here is a complete install video by PDubs and also similar videos by ourselves below:
Installing into the OutRun control deck is slightly different, so please watch this extra video for OutRun installs:
As shown above, we encourage you to test the connections before reassembling the machine.
Other Required Options:
1. HDMI converter board - the stock screen needs to be converted to HDMI unless you are replacing it. If you choose our optional HDMI converter board, watch this video for installation. If you have an alternative board, the installation will be very similar except for the mounting. Be sure your alternate board does not short on the metal casing.
2. Sound Solution - to use the stock speakers, an amp is required. If you purchase one of our sound solutions, there will be video instructions for that soon. Alternatively, you can plug a sound bar or speakers into the gaming box (or your PC), either using the audio cable supplied with the Gaming Box kit, or the cables attached to your speakers.
Reassembling your Cab:
We include helpful stickers to place on your control deck. They are different for Ridge Racer or OutRun. Here are examples of our suggested placement:
When the control deck, HDMI and sound are all sorted, you will be ready to reassemble your cabinet. Here is a helpful video to show the wiring process to finish the mod.
1. Once assembled properly, the POWER switch on your cabinet will control the power to the marquee, the monitor and the Gaming Box. The amp or speakers for Sound is connected separately and if that needs to be turned on or off, a power bar is a good solution.
2. There is a Shut Down menu on the Gaming Box. You access that by hitting START when in the main menu. That will turn the Gaming Box off, but not the main power to the marquee. To turn the Gaming Box back on, simply turn the POWER switch off and then on again. It is preferable to shut down with this method, but simply turning the power switch off will not likely cause corruption on the SD card in our experience.
3. As the supplied sticker indicates, forward in menus and launching games is with the A button. Back in menus is the B button. The Shifter will scroll through the game titles.
4. Also on the supplied sticker, Add or Remove Favorites by holding down the X button for 1 second while on the game in the menu. A message will flash on the screen.
5. To exit any game, press START and COIN simultaneously.
6. In games, there will be a variety of ways to control the menus and start the games. This variance is both because different emulators function differently, and also because we have done creative mapping of controls to make the best use of the limited controls as possible, especially utilizing the Shifter.
Because of this, you will find Up and Down in the menus to commonly vary between using the Shifter and the A and B buttons. When A and B are used for up and down, then the Shifter will commonly be A or X buttons. All of the specific mapping we have done is listed per game on our Google page here:
7. Every set of pedals from Arcade1up is slightly different, so you should calibrate them first thing. You should only have to do it once. To activate the pedal calibration, first turn the power switch off. (If using a PC build, you need to unplug the USB cable from the PC to power the encoder board off.) Press both Pedals completely down to the floor while holding down the A and B button. Then turn on the power switch (plug in USB for PC) and hold for 2 seconds. Then release the pedals and buttons. A new calibration should now be stored until you calibrate it again. Here is a quick video link showing the process: https://youtube.com/shorts/nnWmQk3AAJ4
8. Our v1.3 Firmware (released Jan. 16, 2023) has added the option for in-game wheel sensitivity adjustments. The process is simple - Hold down START and B while hitting the shifter up to decrease sensitivity and the shifter down to increase sensitivity. The video below shows the process: